can turbotax find w2

Can TurboTax Find My W-2? How to Locate & Import Now

turbotax logo

Can TurboTax find my W2 form? TurboTax cannot find your W-2 for you, as it is not authorized to access your employer’s payroll or human resources systems. However, TurboTax offers a W-2 import feature that allows you to easily import your W-2 information into your tax return.

To use this feature, you will need to have an electronic copy of your W-2, which can be obtained from your employer or payroll provider. Once you have your W-2, you can import the information directly into TurboTax by following the prompts and entering the required information.

If you are unable to obtain a copy of your W-2, you can contact the IRS for assistance. They may be able to help you obtain a copy of your W-2 from your employer.

If you plan to file with TurboTax, here’s today’s best deal:

TurboTax: import W-2 | Didn’t receive W-2 | Find W-2 | Find old W-2

How to Import Your W-2 With TurboTax:

It’s easy to import your W-2 form into TurboTax. Here’s how:

  1. Sign in to TurboTax and click the Take me to my return button
  2. In the upper right look for the Search feature
  3. The W-2 screen will open and you’ll be able to change or add a W-2
  4. Enter the Employer ID Number (EIN) found on your W-2

Alternatively, you can also manually enter your W-2 into TurboTax instead of importing it.

What If You Didn’t Receive Your W-2?

You’ll usually receive a W-2 form if you are considered to be an employee, as opposed to an independent contractor, member of the military, or student. You might even receive multiple W-2s if you changed jobs or worked more than one job during the calendar year.

If you haven’t received your W-2 form by mid-February, the first step is to contact your employer or former employer and ask them to provide you with a copy. You can also check your online payroll portal or employee self-service system, as many employers now offer electronic access to W-2 forms.

If you are unable to obtain a copy of your W-2 from your employer, you can contact the IRS for assistance here. They can send a letter to your employer requesting that they provide you with a copy of your W-2.

If you still do not receive your W-2 by April 15th, you can file your tax return using Form 4852, which is a substitute for the W-2 form. You will need to estimate your wages and taxes withheld based on your last pay stub or other documentation and attach Form 4852 to your tax return.

Tip: If you file with form 4852 and later realize that the information is different than your W-2 you may need to amend your tax return.

Tip: Check for Your W-2 Online:

Employers often send W-2 forms electronically, so that might be the issue. For this reason, check your email inbox as well as your spam folder. A search for “tax” or W-2″ might be helpful.

If your employer has an online portal you should be able to log in and access your W-2 there, as well. Someone from human resources at your company should also be able to obtain a copy of your w-2.

Related: Closest TurboTax Store to Me?

How to Find An Old W-2 on TurboTax

Can you find a W-2 from a previous year on TurboTax? No, TurboTax does not keep copies of your old W-2 forms issued by your employer. However, if you saved a PDF of your completed tax return, the worksheets will have the W-2 information that you entered, but not the actual W-2 form.

You should always keep copies of your W-2 forms in your own records. You can request a copy of your W-2 from social security for a fee here. TurboTax MAX also adds the benefit of audit defense and identity theft protection this year.

Hopefully, you are able to find and import your W-2 into TurboTax. If you haven’t filed already we can get you the best price possible. You might even qualify for a discount on TurboTax through your company or bank.

Either way, good luck this tax season!

About kevin

Hi, I'm Kevin McCormick. I graduated from Rutgers U., and now live in Philadelphia with my wife, three kids, and a dog. I enjoy blogging in my free time, especially about finance and the history of taxation. Thanks for stopping by Mighty Taxes!