H&R Block costs: You know that H&R Block is one of the most well-known and respected names in taxes, but you probably aren’t clear on how much it costs to file your taxes with them.
We did our homework and found this year’s pricing for all 3 ways that you can file with H&R Block: online, in-store software (CD/DVD), and in-office tax preparation. Here’s how much H&R Block really costs:
1. H&R Block Online Cost:
H and R Block has several versions of their online software. Basically, the more complex your tax situation, the more you’ll pay. Also, it’s important to note that the prices are lower early in the tax season, and then go up approximately March 15th.
Here are H&R Block online prices for 2019:
- Free Online: (Free) Those with simple tax situations can use H&R Block’s free edition. If you own a home, have investments, or are self-employed, you’ll need to pay for one of their other editions
- Deluxe Online: ($29.99) Great for homeowners or if you’ve made charitable donations
- Premium Online: ($49.99) Best version for contractors, freelancers, and those with investments
- Self-Employed Online: ($79.99) Best for those who own a small business or work out of their home.
- Tax Pro Review: ($119.99) Have an actual tax professional review, sign, and e-file your return
*The cost to efile your State taxes is an additional $36.99 per state
Want a better price for online? Use our exclusive discount by clicking below:
2. H&R Block: Software (In-Store) Cost:
Do you still like to buy H&R Block software on a disc (CD/DVD)? No problem, but it will usually cost you more than the online/ download version. Here are the latest prices for H&R Block software available in stores: (MSRP price)
- Basic: ($19.99) 1040EZ simple tax returns
- Deluxe: ($39.99)
- Premium: ($69.99)
- Self-Employed / Rental Property: ($104.99)
*The cost to efile your State taxes is an additional $36.99 per state.
Prices at big-box stores like Staples, Best Buy, Costco, and Target will vary. Prices are usually lower early in the tax season.
3. H&R Block Office (Live CPA) Cost + Fees
So, you would rather have an actual human do your taxes? No problem, as H&R Block has about 12,000 retail locations throughout North America. So, what does the luxury and convenience of meeting in-person with an H&R Block tax professional cost? Once again, that depends on how complex your taxes are.
However, H&R Block now offers “up-front pricing” so that you can determine the cost before you get a bill. Here are the latest prices to have an H&R Block tax professional prepare and review your taxes in-office:
Federal Base Prices:
If you fit into two or more of these categories, the higher base price applies:
- Simple: ($59) You rent and have W-2 income only
- Complex Income: ($99) You have income other than a W-2
- Student or Retired: ($139) You paid student loans or tuition, or collected retirement income
- Family: ($169) You have dependents such as children. *Needy cats or small dogs don’t count!
- Homeowner: ($189) You have a mortgage
*State tax return is an additional $59 cost.
If applicable, add extra costs to the in-office base prices above, including these fees:
- Child tax credit: +$45
- Earned Income Credit: +$45
- Interest Income: +$30
- Sold Stock: (1099-B) +$50
- Misc Income: (1099-Misc) +$30
- Rental Property: (Schedule E) +$120
- Business Expenses: (Schedule C) +$160
- Home Office Deduction: +$50
- Filing an extension: +$99
- For more costs, see menu above
As you can see, the cost of additional items and deductions are added on a la carte. This means that if you have complex taxes, your final cost could be much more than the Federal base prices above.
Average Cost of In-Office Tax Preparation?
According to CPA Practice Advisor, (2019) the average person pays about $273 if you itemize your deductions. If you don’t itemize, expect to pay about $177.
However, if you own a business or have more complicated taxes, you’ll pay more. For example, after meeting with a CPA at my local H&R Block, I received an estimate of $450 as a self-employed homeowner with investments and business expenses. That estimate was right in-line with the average cost to file with H&R Block based on that criteria.
How much will it cost you to have a tax professional prepare your taxes? Use the menu above to estimate, and then you can get a specific price at your local H&R Block office.
H&R Block: Total Cost Determined By the Complexity of Your Tax Return
Everyone’s tax situation if different, and so it seems is the cost. Please use the information above for an educated estimate as to what your own personal taxes will cost to file this year. If you have any tips or advice about H&R Block cost, please drop us a line as a comment below.
Not sold on H&R Block? We have an exclusive coupon from Intuit for up to $30 off TurboTax. Thanks for visiting Mighty Taxes!