Looking for the best TurboTax service code? If you’ve used TurboTax you may not have even noticed the field to enter a “service code” at checkout. That’s because you probably don’t have one and are just happy to finish your dang tax return!
However, the option of entering a code at checkout made me wonder whether I could get a discount on the total cost of filing with TurboTax. In short, the answer is both “yes” and “no.” You can get a discount before filing, but no, you don’t need to enter a service code. Here’s how discount codes and coupons work, and how to get the best price with a coupon when you eFile at TurboTax.Intuit.com:
Best Coupons, Promotions Now:
While simply clicking one of the coupons above will apply the discount, it’s also possible to use a service code. If you were issued a code, then you’ll want to know how they work.
About TurboTax Service Codes:
What is a Service Code? A TurboTax service code is 7-digit alpha-numeric code issued directly to customers by a TurboTax customer support agent over the phone for “special circumstances” including a specific discount, credit, partial-refund, or free product. Service codes are non-transferrable, and will expire on October 15th, 2020.
You probably don’t need one! Most customers will not need to enter a service code as simply clicking on a partner discount should apply the advertised savings like this:
You’ll have a chance to preview your taxes and then use a service code at checkout when you review your order and pay:
Here’s how to enter a service code if one has been issued to you:
How Service Codes Work: (2019, 2020, 2021)
TurboTax customer support may issue service codes directly over the phone for special circumstances. Here’s how to use one:
How do I use a TurboTax service code?
- Sign in to your account at turbotax.intuit.com
- Select File from the left navigation menu
- On the screen that says, “…only x more steps to file your returns,” click Start
- You will be shown an itemized list of all fees associated with your tax return. Scroll down to the bottom of the page and select, “I have a service code“
- You will receive a prompt to enter your service code
If your service code or coupon is not working, here’s why:
Code or Coupon Not Working?
Why is my TurboTax discount not working? If you clicked on a promotional link or have entered a service code and the discount is not applied to your order total, hopefully, we can help.
The most common reason for TurboTax coupons to not work is due to the security measures on turbotax.intuit.com.
You see, your tax information is incredibly sensitive, so if you are logged in to your account, the site security will block cookies including ones that apply a discount to your order.
This means that people who have already started their tax return may have a problem applying a coupon at checkout.
The good news is that there should be a quick fix. Here’s what to do if your coupon or TurboTax Service code is not working:
- Log out of turbotax.intuit..com
- Click on our featured discount to apply a code
- Log back into the turbotax.intuit.com site and review your order
- You should see the lower price and a message that says, “Your discount has been applied”
- If the coupon is still not working, you may have to clear your browser cache or even delete your cookies (How?)
Don’t have a code? Here are other ways to get a discount on TurboTax:
8 Partner Discounts for TurboTax in 2021:
Which affiliates offer partner discounts for TurboTax online products?
TurboTax has a number of partners who promote an affiliate discount to its members. Getting the discount simply requires logging in to your account and navigating to the respective promotion.
Here are popular partners who offer an affiliate discount on TurboTax:
- Students may qualify for significant education tax credits and deductions. Learn more.
- Military Discount: If you are a member of the Army or armed services, be sure to check out their free Edition for military
- Costco: Are you a Costco member? If so, you can get a great price on Desktop Editions in-store, especially early in the tax season. Learn how
- AARP: If you’re a senior, you may be eligible for a special discount on TurboTax. Learn more.
- Self-Employed Discount – Working for yourself has a lot of benefits, including our TurboTax Self-Employed discount!
- AAA Members: Login to your account at aaa.com to see if AAA currently offers members a special discount
- Groups: Members of certain groups may also have access to a special discount for Turbo Tax Online including teachers, federal employees, Navy Federal, and Uber drivers
- People post promo codes on Reddit, but are they even real?
Why file early w/ TurboTax? – aol.com
Turbo Tax tells us that they issue service codes to fewer than 1% of customers. That means for most of us the best discounts online for TurboTax can be found through partner sites including finance blogs (like Mighty Taxes!), banks, and trusted coupon sites like RetailMeNot or Groupon.
Although death and taxes are unavoidable, at least you can save big on TurboTax software when you use a coupon or partner discount!
*When is Tax Day 2021? The IRS will begin accepting e-file returns sometime between Jan. 15 and Feb 1, 2021. The deadline for e-filing your taxes is Thursday, April 15th, 2021
*This coupon page was created in 2017, and updated for 2018, 2019, 2020, and 2021